Monday, May 11, 2015

Getting Ready

Preparing to be scrubbed with Acetone.


From what I read, removing the top coat of sealants on the shoes really helps prepare them to be painted over. I was doubtful that the coating on white shoes would be visible on the white cotton rounds or white cotton rags I used to remove it. I shouldn't have doubted.


Ew.

I went through a whole lot of cotton rounds. When I felt most of the work had been done, I'd take a clean cotton cloth and acetone and do a final, all-over scrub down of the shoe. Here are the thoroughly scrubbed, and hopefully uncoated sneakers.

Skylander collection is spilling over onto every surface. BF is proud.

They are so fresh now, that just leaning them against the newspaper I was working on left ink marks on them (which I also scrubbed off). 


My next step will be priming them, my first time ever putting brush to sneaker, WOO! I've been torn on whether to focus on the LED lighting before starting the painting, but I feel like I want to paint under where the lighting is going to be. I decided to prime and do a few basic coats, sans details, and then begin messing with my lights. 

BF is indulgent as ever, although he cannot fathom why an adult would desire light-up sneakers. I remind him that I am unable to take pictures in the house without unintentionally capturing skylanders in the background. Geek life, yo. :)

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment